The 2019 applications are due by February 28, 2019
The purpose of this program is to support the selection of careers in the health care profession by offering scholarships to those individuals interested in improving the health of the citizens of the Mercer County area. Scholarships will be awarded based upon evaluation and assessments to meet future health care needs.
- Individuals must live in Mercer County or attend high school in Mercer County.
- Individuals should have a demonstrated history of ability to perform and an ACT score of 25 or higher.
- Extracurricular activities will be considered- especially those related to health and involvement in promoting a caring attitude toward others.
- Motivation for entering their selected health career will be analyzed. A proper attitude regarding this should be evident.
- The applicant's grade point average will be examined. Good grades are important but the applicant does not need the highest GPA in the class.
- Scholarships will be awarded based upon evaluation/assessment regarding the future health needs of the citizens of Mercer County and the surrounding area. This evaluation/assessment will vary depending upon the length of education requirement for the applicant's selected career. The Selection Committee should perform this evaluation.
- The Selection Committee will invite all qualified applicants for an interview.
- The applicants should submit a letter of reference from their academic counselor or teacher along with a copy of their high school courses/grades. These letters may be followed by a call to the counselor from a member of the Selection Committee.
- Based upon acceptable qualified candidates, at least one (1) scholarship will be awarded to a student from each of the six (6) high schools in Mercer County. Should each high school not have an acceptable qualified candidate, the scholarship may be awarded to a student from another high school.
- The Selection Committee may recommend additional scholarships based on the quality of the applicants. The total number of scholarships and dollar amount will be approved by the MED Foundation Board of Directors.
- Preference may be given to those applicants who have volunteered or worked at Mercer Health.
- Preference will be given to those applicants who are planning to return to this area.
- The MED Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of creed, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, age, sex, or sexual orientation in awarding scholarships.
Payment of Scholarship:
- Scholarships will be awarded for a one-year period.
- Payment of the designated amount will be made directly to the student.
Download a Digital Version:
If you'd prefer to download a version to your computer, click here.