Mercer Health Home Care and Medical Equipment will bill any insurance/Medicare plan for equipment/services rendered.  We will do our best to inform you upon admission of your financial responsibility.  We are in network with many insurance plans and we accept Medicare assignment.

The following is an explanation of your responsibilities regarding payment for the services provided.

Medicare Part A (skilled services) - If deemed a covered service, Mercer Health Home Care will accept the Medicare payment received as payment in full.

Medicare Part B (Durable Medical Equipment and supplies) - If deemed a covered service, Mercer Health Home Care and Medical Equipment will accept a Medicare payment of 80% of the allowed amount after your deductible has been met. You are responsible for the remaining 20% of the payment.

Medicare Managed Plans - Once the insurance company receives our bill, a final review of your claim will be made based on medical necessity.  You will be responsible for the remaining balance, which may include deductibles, co-pays and payment for non-covered services.

Medicaid/Managed Medicaid - If deemed a covered service, Mercer Health Home Care and Medical Equipment will accept the Medicaid payment as payment in full.

Self-Pay - You will be responsible for all payments to cover services rendered.

Insurance - Once the insurance company receives our bill, a final review of your claim will be made based on medical necessity. You will be responsible for the remaining balance, which may include deductibles, co-pays and payment for non-covered services.

Non-Coverage - We have determined that the service/equipment ordered by your physician do not meet your insurance coverage criteria.  You will be responsible for full payment.